Skip to main content

A List of links for Bluetooth Low Energy beginners

I had the pleasure of sharing my recent learnings about Bluetooth Low Energy in a Internet of Things meetup in Stockholm. It was inspired by a similar meetup held in San Fransisco back in October. I would like to share some learning resources for people who attended the meetup and this is what this post is about.

I would try to make this list grow over time.

Edit: I am dumping more links here from Droidcon Stockholm

Videos

First the basics. I think the best place to start and get excited is from youtube videos


 There are lots of videos from Bluetooth Tech channel, from home automation, security etc.

 If you want to go more in depth you can watch Robin Heydon from CSR do a really nice intro to BLE. This intro is similar to other webinars that are available out there. You should watch the whole series to get a basic idea


This following video presents BLE from a Linux perspective. I think it introduces too much detail without context, but can be worth watching for users who know their way around linux and have understood basics of BLE. Presentation in PDF is here.

 The following video shows difference between classic and low energy bluetooth

 A quick and fun way to get started with BLE is to play with TI Sensor Tag and an iOS device.

 Another way to get started with BLE is the Estimote app and kit (also on iOS)

 Of course if you are part of the iOS developer program, I would recommend you to watch WWDC talks on CoreBluetooth and CoreLocation from 2012 and 2013. There are talks from Google IO and Microsoft Build as well, but I think Apple talks are far better.

This new Android BLE tutorial from Double Encore BLE guru Dave Smith is really wonderful

Presentations


  • First my hastily prepared presentation.




  • Robin Heydon's presentation (publicly accessible from Bluetooth.org)

Books 



Programming Resources




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neo4j Graphgists: The most educational gists in my opnion

I am really glad that interest in Neo4j education is picking up and NeoTechnolgoy is taking a fun approaches to help people learn graph databases. These efforts tie in neatly with my suggestions regarding Neo4j community outreach. Back in 2012 we had the Neo4j heroku challenge . At that time Cypher was just coming out and the aim of heroku challenge was to get people comfortable with code/cloud and Neo4j. In the last year or so Cypher has evolved considerably and now it is a great initiative by the Neo4j-community-team to hold a challenge that focused on Cypher and graph modelling. In this post I would like to go through my personal favourite gists from this challenge. I have a " fair " understanding of modelling with graphs; yet I learn some thing new and interesting, almost every time, when I am looking at other people's graph models (and that was my personal motivation when I began reviewing the gists ). I am not sure how the voting for this challenge will be d

YubiKey Neo + Putty SSH + Windows

I have been using Yubikey Neo to manage my OpenSSH key in a CCID at work. I have made it work in Ubuntu and MacOS with relative ease, but most of my colleagues are on Windows and wondered how this could be done on the M$ platform. So I decided to give it a shot and try it out on their newly released Windows 10 (or shall we call it WinOS X  ) Step 0: Get YubiKey Neo configured as CCID Of course you have to buy this hardware before we can even begin. Before your Yubikey appears as a CCID  you will need to use YubiKey Neo Manager to enable it. See the following screenshot.  You cannot have a password for your Yubikey when you are changing the modes. If you do then you will have to delete that configuration with YubiKey personalization tool. Make sure to exit the GUI applications before you start using console later. Step 1: Check if you Yubikey works. You will need have gpg executable installed.  Gpg4Win  to interact with your Yubikey C:\> gpg --card-edit gpg: det

Securing your Ansible deployment on AWS

Lately I have been involved in a team which is developing software as micro-services. It is very interesting work and has helped me to get introduced to some interesting technologies such as AWS Ansible and Docker in depth (and in practice). Ansible is a great deployment automation tool. It is made in python, is declarative and agent-less (i.e. it just needs SSH access to your box). SSH it self is very secure if you use key based authentication. But people tend to use it in very insecure manner (i.e they share SSH keys on email, don't delete old SSH keys once they are revoked etc). In my opinion the best solution to stop sharing of private keys is to generate them on a hardware token from which they cannot be (easily) copied. Fortunately I have access to Yubico Neo  on which I managed to generate a public/private gpg key. The private key resides in your gpg card and public key can be put in your Ansible target hosts. There are quite a few guides ( Mac , Linux , Windows)